Monday, August 3, 2009

Into Montana

It's going to be a quick one tonight because I'm flat exhausted after our fourth century of the trip today.  After the highs of our climbs up Togwotee and Teton passes last week, we moved on to Ashton, ID and then to West Yellowstone, MT.  We had an off day in West Yellowstone, which is a horrible tourist trap (think Gatlinburg, Blue 2), but a group of us rented a few cars and made it into the park for the day.  We had a good day viewing the sights, including Old Faithful (overrated and too many people), Lake Yellowstone (very cool), and some paint pots and geysers throughout the park.  All told, it was a good day.  Yellowstone is far from my favorite national park, however, and it ranks far behind the Tetons from a few days previous.

The ride from West Yellowstone to Bozeman yesterday was incredible.  It was a 90+ miler, but it was almost entirely downhill and along the beautiful Gallatin River.  I cruised for much of the day on my own, which was really nice to reset after an off day.  The scenery was absolutely incredible, rivaling the Tetons (in my opinion at least).  Bozeman was a pretty cool town (or at least it had good ice cream, haha).  We had a great chicken dinner and got to chat with a B&B alum from last year's Central Route who lives in Bozeman now (she made us a cake, ballah on dessert last night!)

Today's ride was a tough one: 100 miles with over half of it in headwinds.  I started the morning in a poor mindset; I was upset because me and a few others were doing most of the clean-up chores after breakfast and when I started bringing things to the van, there were no less than 10 people sleeping on couches instead of helping.  I stormed off on the bike and actually had a productive first 20 miles just chewing some things over in my head (let's say this morning was a microcosm of things I've been fighting for years far beyond Bike & Build).  I actually pulled off and logged a quick journal entry on the back of my direction sheet, which helped calm me down.  I had a good rest of the day into our second lunch, pacelining with Isabel and Danny for awhile.  I crashed after second lunch, however, losing all energy and coasting into Bozeman on fumes after the headwinds and heat hit.  Today was definitely a "Survive and Advance" day.

We supposedly have great scenery over the next few days into Lincoln and Missoula.  Looking forward to it.  Hope you guys are doing well!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Justin, Great blog entries and pictures. Love the detailed comments and scenery ratings. As a whole it amazing how well the group does together. Looking forward to seeing you all in Seattle. BTW, please remind Scott to call the writer from Ski Patrol Mag who is trying to write a article on Scott and Bike and Build. I'll update this in all the blogs so everyone can remind him :-) Enjoy the build day coming up. Safe ride!
    Mike (Scott and Kritie's Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from NOLA!! It is hot and muggy here -- my glasses actually steamed up when we walked out of our hotel room!! We took Aaron out for seafood pohboys and then rode past the house on Paris Ave. and on out to Lake Ponchatrain for a little bit. Aaron and his teammates are cooking red beans tomorrow night so we are joining them at their place. We have to find some good french pastries to take for dessert!!. Aaron is doing well -- said you have your tickets for NOLA Labor Day weekend and he is anxious to see you!!

    Hope the rest of your week goes well -- fewer headwinds and back to your group routine. Sounds like you handled it in your way!

    Love you!! Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Justin,
    You handle those situations a lot better than I used to. You are a very patient individual and a class act in my book.
    The bad days lead to the good ones.

    May the road rise to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.......
    (from an Irish poem)

    Just heard on the news Bill Clinton went to North Korea and obtained the release of those 2 American journalists! Yeaaah!!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks and sounds like so much fun (except the lack of company in cleaning, I guess).

    My brother biked across Iowa a couple of weeks ago and said it was a festival on wheels. They had organic coffee for them at mile 10, music and food at night, and towns actually bid to be on the route (~10,000 riders)! His only complaint was that it was hard to find good beer at the end of the day (that's when I knew we were related).

    In my singular effort to join the biking frenzy that seems to be taking hold of the nation, I biked to my job on campus. Looking fwd to my ride home down the hill, I left work to find that someone else had locked their bike to mine (Neal was on hand to offer suggestions for the perfect revenge, but I held off).

    I should probably take a page out of your crew's book and persevere a little more.

    Keep having a great time -- in the west and all the rest!

    Happy trails,


    Alison

    ReplyDelete