Monday, August 24, 2009

Trip in Review, Final Post

Not sure how many people are still reading this, but just in case...

Several years ago, I compiled a list of “Life’s Goals” to pursue.  Near the very top of the list I wrote “Bike across America.” After graduating in May, I found myself at a good transition point to take a few months off for this purpose.  I reported to Providence on June 11 after having rented a car and leaving Ithaca with a surprising amount of sadness. I found myself a little bummed driving away with Cayuga Lake in the rearview mirror.  I didn’t have much time to be morose, however.  After a quick car ride, I arrived at Brown University for orientation.  Writing this two months later, it seems like a half-year ago. 

I entered thinking that I’d be riding solo for much of the trip, wanting to spend time in thought and enjoy the country’s scenery.  I imagined that as one of the older riders on the trip, I could maintain a comfortable distance from the rest of the crew.  That quickly went out the window, and looking back, I’m really thankful for it.  As the trip ends, I’m focusing on my happiness and sadness surrounding the people that I did it with more than the trip itself.

The dynamics of group living are something I am accustomed to from my service in AmeriCorps (11 people in close quarters for 10 months).  I had a great time then so I anticipated not having any problems this time either.  I actually had more opportunities for independence in Bike & Build; I could always take off and ride on my own if I wanted each day.  There are still a few small, bothersome things about our generation that arise in these situations (how we are never on time, for example), but I’m also consistently impressed by the abilities, open-mindedness, and spirit of my age-group.  Through AmeriCorps and Bike & Build, I’ve lived with two separate groups that care a great deal about the future of the world, and they are doers who want to drive change. 

Several traits stood out from P2S09: 

(1) It was the most adventurous group I’ve ever been around.  I guess you have to be if you want to bike across the United States.  This led to countless experiences I would have never found if I were doing the trip alone.

(2) I admired the overall competitiveness of the group.  Competition can bring out both the very best and the very worst in people, but the competitors on this team almost always fell into the former category.  I always think to Teton Pass day: I will forever admire Natalie for waking up at 4 AM to do the pass with a hard cast on her wrist (and in her second ring on her front gear because she couldn’t shift with her left hand), and Shawn for walking up the mountain with his beloved bike over his shoulder less than a week after getting hit by a car.  That’s competition in its most pure form, to test your limits and achieve what others cannot.

(3) Our happiness quotient was always extraordinarily high.  This is probably related to the first trait above; we had some very relaxed people who were just looking to enjoy themselves and live in the moment. When considering what a difficult mental and physical challenge this trip was, it’s remarkable that people kept such high spirits.

I hope that three or four decades from now, I can still call some of these people my friends.  Over the last few days, goodbyes with the group were quite difficult, displaying just how much these people meant to me over the last two months.

Beth was the toughest.  She helped make this trip as good for me as it was.  There is a multitude of things I admire about her and I’m so glad I got to know her well over the last two months.  I constantly found myself thinking about a scenario through my own lens and then through a “What Would Beth Think” lens.  She brings perspective to so many situations and makes you realize what is really important.  

Of course, this trip was about more than gaining new friendships.  I’d never spent much time in any of the states besides New York, Wyoming, and Washington, and I’d only ever driven quickly through Pennsylvania, Iowa, Montana, and Idaho.  Touring the country by bicycle affords you views and experiences that you cannot receive otherwise. 

As I close out this blog, I’m going to refer to my well-known penchant for lists.  Over the first few post-Bike & Build days, I’ve summarized the trip in a massive compilation of my favorite moments (roughly ranked) as a way to sort through what the trip actually meant to me.  I’ll share some of my favorites below.  Additionally, I’ve ranked my favorite riding days and the toughest riding days.  This exercise helped me realize just how incredible the summer was.  I’m so thankful to have had the opportunity to participate in Bike & Build’s P2S09 route.  Thanks to the rest of the riders and the readers on this blog.  And a special thank you to all those who donated to my ride; without you I literally wouldn’t have been able to do it!

See the next blog below for these lists...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Justin, Congrats on finishing your ride across the USA. Very cool. Also thank you for all thee great blog postings. Here are my pictures from the last day in Seattle:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/Bumpsetspikeki11/BikeandbuildFinish?authkey=Gv1sRgCPS_-_mvmtaX8wE#

    Best wishes to you in the future,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin:
    Again, can't thank you enough for all the insightful blog postings. Loved your closing piece and list, which will help everyone remember all the great days you enjoyed together. Maggie arrived in Bonaire today, so after a busy week with her home, I've had a chance to (fondly) return to B & B reading. The best to you now and in the future,

    Kathy (Maggie's Mom)

    ReplyDelete