Saturday, June 6, 2009

Good ride this morning


This morning I woke up around 5:30 and hit the road to bike around Cayuga Lake, an 88-mile trek.  The weather was great, and because it's a Saturday, I had no cars buzzing by.  However, about 27 miles into the ride, as I coming up on a little town called Aurora, I felt my back wheel give way.  Flat.  Curses!  Fortunately, I had my bag with some stuff in it, so I set about fixing the tire.  It took me a good 30 minutes (helped by losing my valve adapter and looking for that for about 10 - I'm an idiot), which is gawd-awful slow and something I'll have to improve upon.  

I'd soon get my chance to test my time.  I'm not sure how, but maybe a mile later, on the other side of town, I punctured the same tire, different leak.  Blast!  Now I was getting low on patches and wondering if these tires would be able to make it around the lake.  I haven't even bought my spare tubes yet for my new bike (I was still carrying around the spares for my old one).  I patched the second hole and decided to turn around lest I get 40 miles from home and the back tire becomes completely unusable.   Thankfully, I encountered no more problems on the ride back.

All in all, I clocked about 55 miles.  My legs were tired afterwards, but just a few hours later they feel pretty good again.  I think I'm ready for Providence.  It was also nice to deal with a little adversity, no matter how small.  I was reminded how beautiful the Central NY countryside is as well.  One lesson: make sure I get some spare tubes and restock the tire patches before my next ride!  Hope everybody is doing well, thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. Stay safe out there buddy. Awesome stuff so far! Can't wait to read all about your trip on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful ride! Talk to you soon!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to post something...KUDZU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop riding on nails and broken glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just teasing.
    Good thing you had your patch kit with you. That is weird, the same thing happened to me with that new Moran mountain bike I won in a raffle about 4 years ago--2 flats, same tire, within a few days of each other.
    Sounds like you're in great shape and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to just say something too KUDZU ?
    hehe
    It would be great to be able to follow your adventures here,
    keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture looks beautiful. Enjoy the grand ole U S of A and don't suck in too many gas fumes :) Can't wait to hear about what new goals all those day-long bike musings bring about. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at this picture of the beautiful lake and reading this blog makes me ask one question....umm is that lake cursed with the same things as the lake in Texas was? I bet it was those darn stickers that got your bike like they got us! haha!! They are tricky little suckers make you think it is a nice walk/ride and then they attack! Be careful on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you going for a goal you've had for a long time. Best of luck across the country. What an awesome way to see they country.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey everybody, thanks for the comments! They are oodles of fun to read, and I'm sure as I leave the friendly confines of Ithaca and hit the lonely road, they'll definitely come in handy. Hope everybody is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! Stay safe, have fun, and I'll try to air drop some PB&J, ketchup, and sports rub for your trek!

    ReplyDelete