Monday, June 15, 2009

Live from Granby, CT (2 days in)

Hey group, we are safely in to Granby, CT as of about 5 PM tonight.

Yesterday we did 38 miles from Providence to Pomfret, CT, a good day despite some of the first-day jitters. The morning was pretty eventful, and I've quickly developed a reputation as the guy on the team who knows directions. I led a group of about 12 of us through shady directions through Providence. This snagged me an assignment as unofficial leader of two of our guest riders who came pretty unprepared (no spares or flat repair kits, and no directions), so they clung to me through two flat tires. That was quite annoying. Once I broke free from them I was about 90 minutes into the ride and ready to get moving, so I booked it past a few small riding groups out on my own. I was carefully following the directions and soon I was at the lunch trailer. Only problem: I was the only one there. I thought I was in the middle of the group, but I guess everybody else had turned left when we were supposed to go straight. I started unpacking the trailer... no riders. I started making sandwiches... no riders. 12 sandwiches in, and the first rider showed up. The group had taken a 13 mile detour before righting the ship. Thus, I spent about 2 hours at lunch, and I was ready to book again in the afternoon. Me and another guy took off and clocked about 16-17 mph to Pomfret and got in about 3:30 PM. Our hosts were fantastic and fed us spaghetti and meatballs last night and a big breakfast this morning. Great first day overall, despite the mishaps!

Second day I was in charge of "Sweep," meaning I had to make sure everybody in front of me got in safe. Kind of funny going from first to dead last, but it was a great change of pace. Me and the other person on Sweep, Caroline, had a good time and we spent the day with a relaxing ride. Some folks had bike issues that really slowed us down (2:40 in, we had only gone 13 miles, YIKES!), but we made it into Granby tonight around 5 PM. Overall, a great day again, and our hosts are just as kind and generous with the food!

My legs feel great actually, probably because the distance has been light (only about 95 miles total) and the hills are mediocre (nothing compared to Ithaca, Colorado, or California). I did yoga with a group tonight for the first time in my life and that felt fantastic. I'm looking forward to going faster tomorrow, but I'm also going to take some time to "smell the roses" as we head to Kent, CT, about 67 miles away.

Sorry, big line for the computer behind me, more coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. Ok I know I just commented on the RI blog...but now I must comment on this one. You did yoga??? I'm so proud! Is jazzercise next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the group is working the kinks out early. keep up the good work man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really quite awesome, sorry I missed the boat on donations. Way to be Justin, impressive as always.

    ReplyDelete